Saturday, May 15, 2010

Confidence over Confidence

It was during my block teaching in KV-1, Uppal. I was there as a trainee teacher to teach them English. I along with my classmates were on a mission to implement new methodology in teaching. The students in the class too were very happy to see some new faces to have some fun. The teacher assigned class VII-B to teach, that was the first time I faced the classroom situation in my life. I had lot of confidence (actually Overconfident) over the subject. Finally, YES, "I did it", "I did it extremely well". My supervisor gave so much of positive comments about my teaching, in my record book. It says

"The class controll was good"
"Students actively participated in the class"
"The method and approach of the teacher was excellent" and so on.

I never know whether the students liked my teaching or not. But the alchoholic effect of the feedback gave me 'hangover' on the following days. I felt as if I am the best of best teachers in the country. I even started giving tips for my classmates regarding "How to teach? How to controll the class".

Few days later I was getting ready to teach class VI-C. When I entered the classs the students greeted me with a lengthy "G-o-o-o-o-o-o-d M--o--r--n--i--n--i--n--g" with respective my gender "S-a-a-a-a-a-r". I too greeted them in 'short' and straight away asked them to take the English book.

"Which book saaar- Prose-poetry-or Non detail" they replied

My first question went non-sencical before them. And I asked them to take "English Prose"

The noise of opening the bag zip/clip. searching the book, taking it out of the bag, sitting in there respective place, quarrel of someone for sharing the book. All these made me to feel myself as the commander in the battlefield ordering the soldier to load the gun and to take position. But still it was fun controlling the upper primary students.

"Turn to page 56"
Today I'm going to teach the lesson "where do all teacher go", I said
"Hey you? Whats your name? Ok, Read the first paragraph, I said pointing out a student from the last bench.

"I can't" he said
"why" I asked
" I didn't do anything, why are you punishing me" he said

"No... No sir"
"Who are you? why should I read in the class?"
"I'll not read" he continued

For a moment I thought asking the student to read was a crime in that school. I was losing my temper in the class, and was about to beat him. But the class reprentative stopped and told me that he has some mental problem. Also he convinced the boy to remain silent.

My confidence over confidence of becoming professional in teaching. got a fullstop there.

No comments:

Post a Comment